Texts Used for this Discussion

The main text used in our discussion:

Valdes, G., Capitelli, S. & Alvarez, L. (2011). Latino children learning english:Steps in the journey. New York: Teachers College Press.


Other possible texts of reference:

Spradlin, K. (2012). Diversity matters: Understanding diversity in schools (2nd ed). Belmont, CA:Wadsworth/Cengage.


Turnbull, A., Turnbull, R., Shank, M. & Leal, D. (2007). Exceptional lives: Special education in today's schools (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.


Valle, J. W. & Conner, D. J. (2010). Rethinking disability: A disability studies approach to inclusive practices. New York: McGraw-Hill.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Diverse Life Experiences and Various Transformations

While reviewing and reflecting upon both of the Experience Surveys, my results weren't surprising. It was interesting for me to clearly see the amount of contact I've had with individuals with disabilities. One of my closest friends who is physically impaired went to the same house where I was babysat. Being friends with her beginning at such a young age made if very difficult to have any sort of judgmental or uncomfortable feelings towards her. We went to the same high school and our relationship remained the same in and outside of school. I often invited and took her to several social gatherings through my church. I can't ever remember a time where I felt uncomfortable with her she was someone I trusted and could talk to about anything.

As for the level of interaction in terms of diversity with other individuals my results were expected. When I was younger diverse interaction took place when I was with family members, at church, and at my elementary school where two of my classmates came from Haiti. English is the second language for my father and his entire side of the family so, I grew up around Ukrainian speakers. Often times I would attend a Ukrainian church near my home with family and go to Sunday school with peers who recently came to America from Ukraine. When I began college, I joined the international club and attended many events where I was the minority and often thought about how my friend with disabilities and my friends from different ethnic backgrounds may have felt in different situations. I now have a strong interest to peruse my student teaching in another country that I know very little about in hopes to have a stronger understanding of my ESL students someday and to further engage in my critical process of transforming myself, schools, and society towards social justice for multicultural education.

3 comments:

  1. You peeked my interest when you said you wanted to student teach in another country. Have you thought about what country you would like to teach in? To be to do that would be a wonderful experience for you. I find that many people here in American have the misfortune of not fully experiencing another culture. They can go to festivals and gatherings but at the end of the day they have to go home afterwards. To be able to go to another country and immerse oneself into their culture and way of life is completely different from what we have in the America. I envy you for being able and willing to take on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I connected with your discussion about your friendship with an individual with disabilities. I too connected personally with a classmate with a disability and never felt uncomfortable or felt differently about her. I draw from your family-culture experience because I had a very similar experience in my own life. You are very adventurous for wanting to student teaching in a different country—I am not sure I could undertake that experience. I wonder and question how better to students of different cultures in a district where funding for such support is limited or nonexistent. Reaching the students will ultimately come from what we can do in our own classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually slightly surprised by your friendship. Not in that I am surprised you were friends with her, but by the fact that you remained friends even in high school. There are two reasons I am surprised. The first being that, based off of my experiences, she would have been in a Special Education classroom. My brother, who only has only a slight disability, was placed in a Special Education classroom. I, like most of the school, almost never saw him. The students in the room were pretty much segregated from the rest of the school. They went to the cafeteria to buy their lunches, then they would take their lunches back and eat in their room. So, with such little contact it must have been difficult to stay so close. I am also surprised that you were not "pressured" into not being friends with her. The students in my school that were in the Special Education room we outcasts. They joined us for specials, but remained in their room for every other subject. Many students at my school were afraid to socialize or be seen with those students because of their stigma. I commend you on your friendship, I am sure that you were placed into some awkward and uncomfortable situations because people did not understand your friendship.

    ReplyDelete