Texts Used for this Discussion

The main text used in our discussion:

Valdes, G., Capitelli, S. & Alvarez, L. (2011). Latino children learning english:Steps in the journey. New York: Teachers College Press.


Other possible texts of reference:

Spradlin, K. (2012). Diversity matters: Understanding diversity in schools (2nd ed). Belmont, CA:Wadsworth/Cengage.


Turnbull, A., Turnbull, R., Shank, M. & Leal, D. (2007). Exceptional lives: Special education in today's schools (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.


Valle, J. W. & Conner, D. J. (2010). Rethinking disability: A disability studies approach to inclusive practices. New York: McGraw-Hill.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Diversity and Transformation of Self

Week:1
Reflection on diversity surveys and "Transformation of Self"
Levi

Growing up I was exposed to very little diversity.  I lived in a small farming town.  Most of my peers were lower middle class white Christians.  I never noticed discrimination or segregation of students based on ethnicity or disability, however economic status quickly created cliques that would remain until graduation.  I was exposed to people with disabilities when my mom began dating a man who had an intellectually disabled son, "B.".   I had never interacted with people with disabilities before meeting B. and was very insecure when I was around him.  However, after spending time with him, going with him to his Special Olympic practices, games and meets I began to feel more comfortable.  I soon began to help coach for Special Olympics (which I still do).  It was not until college that I came into contact with students with varying cultural and religious backgrounds, as well as members of the GLBTQ community.  Since I began working with students I have become increasingly aware of their vast diversity.  I believe that culturally it would be beneficial to recognize and introduce our children to the many different groups of people in their community; from those with psychological disorders, to people of different cultures and races, to people of different socioeconomic status.  Allowing our children the opportunity to know and be comfortable with people that are different from them would help our society as a whole to break down the walls separating the many diverse groups of people in the world.
           
I agree and support most of the ideas presented on "The Transformation of Self" sheet, especially the opening paragraph.  I do believe that educators must be in constant evaluation of themselves and their students in order to benefit all of their students.  However, I do not agree that the officials within our school system and our society have brainwashed us, which is was I believe the closing of this article is trying to convince the reader of.  I agree that "We must ask the unaskable questions" but I do not believe we are failing as a society to recognize what needs to be changed.  Change takes time, we know what needs to happen, we must stay on task and achieve our goals.

2 comments:

  1. I had a drastically different cultural experience and yet we both arrive at the same necessity—acceptance. I agree with your thought of introducing diversity; I like your ideas of diversity as more than race; encompassing socioeconomics and cognitive disabilities. I believe school is a safe setting and an opportune avenue to teach students about “others” in our community—which you also discussed. We need to take the negative connotation out of the word “other.” Additionally, I believe that we need to acknowledge our differences but focus on how we are similar. When we present differences without comparison it is easy to develop a sense of “otherness” instead of equity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting how early in your life you weren't exposed to much diversity and people with disabilities. It seems like once person B came into your life the doors opened to your journey of contributing to people in society with disabilities and of other backgrounds than yourself. I have been at the Special Olympics several times bringing residents who are apart of the agency I work for called Lifetime Assistance. I bet it is such a rewarding feeling and is a great conversation piece to bring awareness to that area.

    ReplyDelete