Texts Used for this Discussion

The main text used in our discussion:

Valdes, G., Capitelli, S. & Alvarez, L. (2011). Latino children learning english:Steps in the journey. New York: Teachers College Press.


Other possible texts of reference:

Spradlin, K. (2012). Diversity matters: Understanding diversity in schools (2nd ed). Belmont, CA:Wadsworth/Cengage.


Turnbull, A., Turnbull, R., Shank, M. & Leal, D. (2007). Exceptional lives: Special education in today's schools (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.


Valle, J. W. & Conner, D. J. (2010). Rethinking disability: A disability studies approach to inclusive practices. New York: McGraw-Hill.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Learning English and My Life Experience


The first passage that spoke to a connection in my life was in the “Receptive Proficiencies: Change Over Time” (Valdès, et. al., 2011pp. 101-102). Valdès, et. al. (2011) discusses the ELL student needing to understand various aspects of conversation; turn taking, appropriate responses, comprehension and so much more. My connection comes from my job. I work with students whose disabilities are severe and compounded. In my classroom we frequently are teaching the students how to interact appropriately with individuals—the only difference with my students is that they are native speakers. It is very difficulty, however, for my students to understand social cues because of factors of their disability. I can understand how difficult it is for ELL students to follow a conversation in a new language while still grappling with the vocabulary, word order, and social structure.

I made connections to was later in the “Receptive Proficiencies: Change Over Time” (Valdès, et. al., 2011pp. 104-105). Valdès, et. al. (2011) shows a transaction between a volunteer (native English speaker) and an ELL student. The transactions about the children’s’ literature being read is very insightful an individual learning English. The volunteer has a dialogue with the ELL student about the book but it steams away from plot and story line—the pair are transacting with the text and discussing each page and making real life connections. I connect this with my literature course here at Nazareth because it is a perfect example of the student making meaning through the cognitive dimension of literacy that is also strengthening the understanding of English with further progresses the student’s developmental dimension of literacy.

Finally I make a connection to Valdès, et. al. (2011) story of “Aracely”(pp.108-112). Aracely’s story demonstrates her ability to develop her productive proficiencies and participate more fully in a discussion. I cannot relate this to a transaction I have had with a ELL student; however, I draw connection to it through a student developing proficiency of a topic and being able to discuss it comfortably. During my student teaching I presented a unit on government. At first the students were apprehensive—yet, by the end the class was having independent debates about the mock elections we had. The students were utilizing language, concepts, and developing arguments based on what I had taught in class. I furthered their schema, deepened understanding and ultimately the students created a practical use.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your connection between Aracely's demonstration of proficiencies and your unit on government. I can picture my special education students being apprehensive about government, because to them it would seem like a subject that is too complex for them to grasp. However, once a teacher takes the time out and breaks down the information, they can retain what is being taught to them and even understand it enough to debate about it. I'm sure you were proud of your students when they were debating and demonstrating what they learned. It takes a certain kind of teacher to have the patients to take the time and break down content to a student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you chose time as the focus of your blog (I also focused on time). I believe that a teacher can try and try and try as hard as they can, but without allowing the student time to grow, the teacher cannot raise their expectations of the student. Students need time to practice, review, and embed language in their everyday lives. No matter how much we wish our students would "just get it", they won't... time is necessary in order to learn.

    ReplyDelete